Monday, April 13, 2009

New Day, New Work




It's been a while since I last wrote and many things have happened. I joined a band called Cantalouper, but I'll write about that in another post. Some of the things I've been working on include this design for a local fellow who cooks bbq. It's not a big restaurant or anything- he just does it for fun (like most of his other brothers) and enters contests and bbq festivals. It seems to be a big thing around here and I'm told Kansas City style bbq is different from, say Memphis or Charleston. Not too sure about the details, though- I don't eat much bbq (not a fan of the drippy, sweet or spicy sauces)- the amount of sugar that usually goes into that gives me a head & bellyache. I don't mind a dry rub, but mostly I like smoked pulled pork...mmmm.
Ahem, I'm getting a bit off subject here.
This is the finished banner:

*Image copyright My Three Sons BBQ Team and Charles W. Parzych III 2008*



The idea was given to me and I drew it up with pencil & ink. The three sets of pig feet represent the three sons of the guy who runs the bbq team. They took the image to a sign maker and came up with these colors. The banner is shiny which made for a difficult photograph, but I think the idea comes across anyhow. I believe the banner size is 4' x 6' .



Another project I recently finished was a bison animal totem for a friend recovering from breast cancer. The idea came to me after I asked myself, "Is there anything I can do for her?"
Everything about this small sculpture came to me via the great Universe- from the materials I was to use, right on down to execution. I was even guided as I constructed the box to ship it in. I'm now seeing the artist is indeed a conduit for the Greater Divine or Universal Energy or whatever you'd like to call it.
Here's a photo of the finished totem (approx. 4" long, not including feathers):


*Image copyright Charles W. Parzych III 2009*





The material, used to shape the bison out of, was paperclay- the same material I used to make the bear totem box for my sister. I also used a river/lake stone from Minnesota (under the arrowhead); tree bark- which I carved the arrowhead out of; bluejay & cardinal feathers, and sewing thread. I used acrylic paint- red sponged over white, after which I rubbed further with a damp cloth as the paint became tacky. I used an acrylic glaze to seal everything, except the feathers. Here's a photo from the other side:

*Image copyright Charles W. Parzych III 2009*

I'm quite satisfied with the outcome of the sculpture and my friend was very happy with it too. It is an extra treat when you make a gift or art object for a family member or friend and they truly treasure it.


1 comment:

Marcyanna said...

Cool banner & the totem turned out beautiful! Thanks for your nice comments on my last post. Amazing the coincidences... or is it synchronicity?